ORGANIZATION: Rapids Rulings LLC (“Rapid Rulings”) is a limited liability company, organized under the laws of the State of Iowa, whose sole owner and ruling author is Jill A. Handley. Its mission is to provide fast and certain legal dispute resolution through online communication, at a price parties choose.
SERVICES PROVIDED: Rapid Rulings is a neutral, objective service that provides an alternative to court. We offer an unbiased third party who is ready to help you come to a swift settlement of your legal dispute, without setting foot in court or meeting with the other party.
HOW DECISIONS ARE MADE. Rapid Rulings determines decisions according to the law. In its role, Rapid Rulings reserves the right to go beyond what the Parties submit and consider any fact or law that an appointed or elected judge could rely upon appropriately in making a decision. Rapid Rulings is also permitted to make reasonable inferences.
WRITTEN RULING: A written ruling will be provided to the parties. This ruling will describe the facts and legal conclusions determined by Rapid Rulings, as well as the ultimate decision. The decision will be written in terms a non-lawyer can easily understand, with cases, laws, or other legal authority provided in footnotes.
Attorney with litigation, employment, management, and business experience in law firm, academic, government and corporate roles.
Continuing legal education lecturer, author, commentator, and speaker.
- The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, J.D. With Distinction (1981)
- Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, B.S. With Highest Honor (1979)
Transamerica Life Insurance Company (1992 – 2016)
- Deputy General Counsel of Investigations, Litigation, and Employment
The University of Iowa (1990-1992)
- Supervising Attorney, Student Legal Services
Kirkwood Community College (1990-1991)
- Adjunct Faculty
- Mother and Private Child Care Provider (1986-1990)
Bennett, Boehning, Poynter & Clary (1981-1986)
- Member Profile, Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (2017)
- HR Decisions magazine Innovators, Transamerica Life's TIGM Team Transforms Visa Management, (January/February 2015)
- Inside Counsel Magazine, Ten Most Innovative Law Departments (2010)
- Winner, Outstanding Mentor/Development, Waypoint (f/k/a/ YWCA) Annual Tribute to Women (2005)
- Nominee, Women of Influence in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City Corridor (2005)
- Winner, Mason Ladd Legal Writing Competition (1986)
- Feature Article, D.B. Blanck, J.Handley Andersen, E.J. Wallach, and J.P. Tenney, Implementing Reasonable Accommodations Using ADR under the ADA: The Case of the White-Collar Employee with Bipolar Mental Illness, 18:4 Mental and Physical Disability Law Reporter 458 (1994); reprinted in 2:1 Best of ABA Sections 34 (1998).
- Article, The Functioning Father: A Unified Approach to Paternity Determinations, 30 J. FAM. L. 847 (1992).
- Article, Equal Protection During the 1984 Term: A Revitalized Rational Basis in the Economic Sphere, 36 DRAKE L. REV. 25 (1986-87).
- Comment, Iowa’s Inadequate Protection Against Child Molesting, 66 IOWA L. REV. 623 (1981).
- Born: Jill Handley in Charles City, IA
- High School: Rockford Senior High, Rockford, IA
- Former Martial Surnames: Andersen, Murphy
- Business: Partner, Rife Recording Studio, with husband Kevin Rife and his son Sine Rife (2008-2017)
- Member, Association for Conflict Resolution
- Member, Iowa Bar Association (1981 – present)
- Member, Indiana Bar Association (inactive)
- Certified Workplace Mediator, Federal Mediation & Conciliation Service (2005)
- Certified Fraud Examiner, ACFE (2006)
- Certified Trainer, ALICE (2015)
- Appointed by Governor Vilsack (IA) to the Regional Workforce Investment Board (RWIB) of Region 10 (2003-2010); Member, Audit Committee; Chair, RWIB Youth Advisory Council (2003-2005)
- Appointed by Board of Supervisors to the Tippecanoe County (IN) Child Protection Team (1984-1986)
- Entrepreneurial Coach, Law Without Walls, University of Miami (2017)
- Mock Trial Judge, University of Iowa College of Law Trial Advocacy course (2016)
- Parent Chaperone, Linn-Mar Music Department Spring Break Trip (2016)
- Volunteer, Linn-Mar Show Choir (2015 - 2016)
- Board of Directors, Diversity Focus (2014-2015)
- Volunteer, Super-Regional Robotics Competition (2014)
- Executive Producer, We’re Comin’ Back, a compilation of original musical works donated and performed by various artists to sell for relief to victims of the 2008 Flood (Cedar Rapids) (2010)
- BSA Merit Badge University Coordinator, Troop 560 (2010-2013); BSA Merit Badge Counselor for Citizenship in the Nation, Law, Music, Disabilities Awareness, Reading, Family Life, and Cooking, Troop 560 (2009-2013)
- Mock Trail Judge, Middle School (2009, 2016)
- Volunteer, Association of Retarded Citizens of Linn County (2004, 2007)
- Volunteer, Iowa State Bar Association Booth, Iowa State Fair (2004)
- Leadership Team, Solon High School Music Boosters (2001-2005)
- Trustee, Solon United Methodist Church (2002-2003)
- Adult, Youth, and Children’s Bell Choir Director, Solon United Methodist Church (1999-2000)
- Advancement Chair, Cub Scout Pack (1996-1998)
- Children’s Choir Director, Solon United Methodist Church (1993-1999)
Founding Member, Before and After School Child Care Program, Lakeview
- Elementary School, Solon, IA (1993)
- Invited Speaker, Association of Conflict Resolution Annual Conference, "Online Dispute Resolution: Is There a Path to Ethical Requirements?" (2017)
- Quoted by C. Fenton and S. Woodhead in book Company Confidential: The Secrets to Effectively Resolving Internal Conflict (2017)
- Continuing Legal Education Lecturer, "ADR + Technology = ODR: Understanding, Analyzing, and Explaining Online Dispute Resolution Options", presentation for Transamerica Life Insurance Company, accredited in CT, NY, OH, and IA (2017)
- Continuing Legal Education Lecturer, "ADR + Technology = ODR: Understanding, Analyzing, and Explaining Online Dispute Resolution Options", live webinar sponsored by Lorman Education Services, accredited in FL (2017)
- Continuing Legal Education Lecturer, "Online Dispute Resolution: Discharging Your Duty to Understand, Analyze, and Explain," University of Iowa Cornshucker Challenge, accredited in IA (2016)
- Interviewed by Professor Michele DeStefano, University of Miami, for her forthcoming book, Winning the Innovation Tournament in Law: Tactics to Transform the Way Lawyers Collaborate